07 June 2011

Vegan Ginger Cookies

Sparkled Ginger Cookies (from Vegan with a Vengeance) http://www.theppk.com/


I was terribly bored the other day so I decided to bake something. I flipped through my copy of Vegan with a Vengeance and I was torn between these cookies and Mocha Chip Muffins. I really love cookies, but muffins are like bread and dessert at the same time. I also am a little nostalgic about muffins. It was always a treat when my mum would bake my brother and I muffins in the morning. It was a welcome treat and break from the usual cereal routine.
So instead of staying in limbo forever I let Renay, my soon to be sister in law, be the tie breaker. It was a no brain for her, as soon as I asker her which I should make the blurted out "Cookies, of course!". That was easy enough, because I'm terrible at making decisions like that, probably because I'm a fat kid at heart and just want both. 


Sparkled Ginger Cookies: from Vegan with a Vengeance

Ingredients:
 4 tablespoons turbinado or demerra sugar (regular sugar will work as well but coarse is best)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup soy milk
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease two cookie sheets. Place the turbinado sugar in a small bowl.
Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. In a separate large mixing bowl, mix together the oil, molasses, soy milk, sugar, and vanilla. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and combine well. Roll into 1-inch balls, flatten into a 1 1/2-inch diameter disk, press the cookie tops into the turbinado sugar and place 1 inch apart sugar side up on a prepared cookie sheet. 
Bake 10 to 12 minutes (don't overbake!), let cool on cookie sheets for 3 to 5 minutes, and transfer to a cooling rack.

They were spectacular. The most perfect cookies I have ever made. Perfectly round and cracked on top, spicy, sweet and chewy! I made a few modifications. I only had white whole wheat flour on hand, so I sifted it well and used it. I was also concerned about how soft the dough was after handling it, so I set the prepped cookie sheet in the fridge for 10 or so minutes to help firm them up. Bellissimo! -Monica 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead, say something to me. I'd love to hear what you have to say.