28 July 2011

Waiting on my hair


Sorry I haven't blogged since my birthday. I haven't been busy, so I can't use that excuse, but I'm here now and I found something that I hope it fun to talk/ read about. I tweeted a very silly and obvious comment earlier "Waiting on my hair to grow it's kinda like, well, waiting for my hair to grow." and thought.....hey I could blog about hair, why not? So, here are my stories.

Growing up I always had really long hair, my mum used to tell me that she would just keep it trimmed up enough so that it wouldn't get in the way when I used the toilet (gross, but smart and thoughtful) and growing up all  through elementary school and middle school I always wore it somewhere in the general range of long, stringy and blondish-brown. The turning point in my hair story was in the 10th grade when I decided I was going to chop it all off and donate it to Locks of Love. (for those of you not familiar, check out the link) I opted for a "flippy above shoulder length cut with swooshy bangs". I didn't really know how to style my hair very well so it wasn't as chic as I had anticipated it being, but I wasn't very girl in my younger years. Through high school my hair went through few shifts, the most exciting being a big chunk of purple in my bangs until my senior year when I decided that I wanted a girly mohawk. 
I wore my mohawk to the homecoming dance, but my date's was bigger. lol
 I rocked that for a while, but I didn't really keep up with it and I slowly let it grow back into a shaggy bob, which really became my look. I eventually polished it into a cute kinda signature look with asymmetrical bangs. Then in college, when I was living on my own I went back to the mohawk for quite some time and the sides slowly got closer and closer until one day my roommates started joking about shaving the sides off. I said let's do it, so we did. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of my shaved mohawk, but trust me. That thing rocked! It didn't last long though. I thought it made my face look fat, so I just decided to shave it all off and start from scratch.  
My favorite comments where all related to Natalie Portman or Sigourney Weaver.
I let my hair grow out and I've kept the shaggy bob that I like; I've attempted multiple times to grow it long, but I've always give up when it gets to that length. You know the one, when you can't do anything with it. It's too short to pull up and too long to lay neatly. It just sticks to your neck in the summer and and refuses any shape until you get so desperate that you chop it off again. I've finally made it past that point and so I'm in it for the long haul now. I'm not sure how long I'll let it get until I just keep it trimmed at one length, but I'm very excited to have a new look after years and years of it getting shorter and keeping it that way. I'm also a little nervous about getting my hair done in a few weeks. I'm just going to back to my natural color, but I've gotten so used to red, teal, purple and blond hair that I'm worried I'll look dull as a brunette, but with Ryshelle as my hair dresser I shouldn't worry. She always does an amazing job, so I really don't have anything to worry about. 

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and the last few remaining days in July! I think I'll start a grad school countdown in August and keep y'all posted on my exploits leading up to my departure (I guess I'm a little superstitious, because everything isn't set in stone yet and I don't want to jinx myself and have something mess up.) I'm still waiting to get my UK visa; I've had a few snags in the process, but I'm hoping it's all squared away now and that leaves a plane ticket as the last thing I need to get before I can leave.  Take care and be kind to yourselves! 
♥monica

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead, say something to me. I'd love to hear what you have to say.